Wednesday 22 October 2014

Walking in the footsteps of a Stranger

This weeks quote is a commonly replicated theme throughout literature. And since We had a bit of History last week I think some book talk is due.
Of course the most famous versions of this quote is Atticus Finch in Haper Lee's much loved and socially important novel To Kill a Mockingbird. When he tells his young daughter Scout not to judge the cruel, racist and bad tempered Bob Ewell: 
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.' - Atticus Finch, TKAM
This is the advice by which Atticus tries to live his whole life, in pursuit of the truth and justice, it is a difficult concept for a young child to grasp despite her best efforts. The story ends, and the reader finally comprehends what Scout has learned over the course of the novel, once she takes a look at the world from the position of the mysterious Boo Radley. She imagines many of the key events in the book (her father shooting the rabid dog, the children finding Boo's presents) and she is at last able to understand the protection this stranger has offered her through the horrible time she has suffered in the book.

On a reader's level, Atticus' advice is of some comfort to us in the face of the prejudice and hardships faced by the characters of the novel. For example, we come to sympathise with Mayella Ewell, who lied about being raped by Tom Robinson to protect her young siblings/children and avoid the wrath of her father. (The relationship is somewhat blurry).

Moving away from the novel, being able to see thing's from another's viewpoint, to understand why another person might act as he does, is a very important feature of literature itself. Anyone who enjoys reading has at some point had an emotional outburst (whether sadness, anger, happiness) at a character we have never met and don't really know. Because for the time we are engrossed into that book, we are walking in their footsteps, seeing their world as they see it. We even come to love very dislikable characters, because by walking in their footsteps we might understand their actions.

It doesn't fit with the rest of my post, but since it is the challenge, I must talk about my favourite film:
Without a doubt, hands down, my favourite film is The Lord of The Rings. Ever since I was very young I have adored the idea of mythical races and in particular the elves, when I was seven I took up horse riding because I desperately wanted to be just like Legolas and even today I ride because of the thrill I feel when I can imagine I am a part of that world. Every day I wear my Leaf of Lorien as a reminder. Beautiful films, very fantastically made, they deserve every credit.

I'm afraid it's a rather short post this week due to time restraints, but I hope you understood the message.
Emily



No comments:

Post a Comment